Spitfire BR601 - 1942 SPITFIRE F MK IX - Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar
15473
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-15473,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,columns-3,qode-theme-ver-11.2,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive
 
1942 Spitfire F Mk IX

BR601

• BR601 was the sixth Spitfire Mk.IX, built
at Southampton during 1942

 

• First flight at Eastleigh, 16 June 1942

 

• Flown to 45 MU at Kinloss the next day

 

• 9 July, ferried by Polish ATA pilot Stefania
Wojtulanis from Prestwick to Hornchurch,
arriving 11 July

 

• Allotted to 64 Squadron, (first unit to receive
Mk.IXs) First ops flown with Mk.IXs on 28 July

 

• 21 October 1942, Sqdn Ldr Colin Gray
suffered a burst tyre on landing, resulting in
undercarriage collapse and wing damage

 

• Repaired at 39 MU and issued to 453
(Australian) Squadron 2 April 1943

 

• 17 July 1943, issued to 129 (Mysore) Squadron,
again at Hornchurch

 

• 28 August 1943, reallocated to 316 (City of
Warsaw Squadron, a Polish Squadron based
at RAF Northolt.

• 28 September 1943, placed on charge with
165 (Ceylon) Squadron at Culmhead, moving
to Colerne later that month

 

• 19 March 1944, under repair again at Air
Service Training, and repaired again at 8 MU
on 29 August

 

• 27 February 1945, sent to Vickers Armstrongs
for modifications, going into storage at
Lyneham with 33 MU

 

• 27 January 1949, shipped to South Africa on
board SS Clan Mackellar, arriving 13 March

 

• 16 March 1951, now serialed 5631, issued to
the Air Operation School at Langebaanweg
Air Base, suffering three landing accidents
and being relegated to a ground instructional
airframe with 7 Squadron.

 

• 10 March 1955, sold to scrap merchants,
South African Metal & Machinery Co, Salt
River, Cape Town

 

• Restored by apprentices from the Atlas Aircraft
Corporation for static display on a pole in the
scrap yard. Placed on display in 1976

• Sold to Doug Arnold in 1986 for £70,000 and
stored at Biggin Hill

 

• 1994, sold to Jet Cap aviation and moved to
Bartow, Florida where it remained untouched

 

• Transported to the Lone Star Flight Museum,
Galveston, Texas

 

• Acquired by Jeff Thomas in January 2008 and
sent to Avspecs at Ardmore, New Zealand

 

• 29 July 2009, acquired by Peter Monk, and fully
restored for the Collings Foundation, Stow,
Massachusetts, USA

• First flight after restoration 31st August 2016.