1943 SPITFIRE MK IV - Spirfire LZ842 - Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar
15561
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-15561,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,columns-3,qode-theme-ver-10.1.2,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive
 
1943 Spitfire Mk IV

LZ842

• Built at Castle Bromwich April 1943.

 

• Delivered 17th April 1943, to 39 MU at Colerne
for radio and armament fitting.

 

• 11th May 1943, Shipped to Casablanca for
service with the Middle East Air Force aboard
the SS Fort Jersey.

 

• LZ842 served in Malta and Sicily, with 93 Sqn
and 232 Sqn, before joining 327 (free French)
Squadron around October 1944.

• The aircraft suffered Cat B damage when
making a forced landing at Mourmelon due to
low fuel in foggy conditions. During the landing,
LZ overturned after hitting a bomb crater and
was dismantled at Lokeren, Belgium.

 

• Stored at the end of the war, it was selected
as one of the 136 Spitfires transferred to South
Africa. 80 were supplied free of charge and the
remaining 56 were on repayment terms. 53
were flown from the UK, the rest were shipped
including LZ842, arriving in Cape Town on 28th
April 1948.

• Sold to the South African Metal and Machinery
Co. in 1952 for scrapping.

 

• Survived as a hulk in the yard, transferred to
the South African Air Force Museum in 1978
and placed in storage.

 

• In 1989 the remains were shipped to a UK
buyer, before being traded again to a collector
in Toowoomba in Queensland, Australia.

 

• Acquired by Peter Monk in 2003.

 

• Undergoing full restoration to flying condition.