1943 SPITFIRE T.9 - Spitfire MJ627 - Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar
15422
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-15422,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,columns-3,qode-theme-ver-11.2,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive
 
1943 Spitfire T.9

MJ627

• Built at Castle Bromwich, autumn of 1943.

 

• First flown on November 27.

 

• Stored at 9 MU, Cosford until the spring of

1944. On March 13, MJ627 arrived at General

Aircraft for further checks which were almost

certainly conducted at Hanworth, Middlesex.

 

• Entered service with number 441(Silver Fox)

Sqn, Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) on

September 25, 1944 and served with the RAF

from Advanced Landing Ground B70 located in

Belgium. She was given the codes ‘9G-Q’

 

• On September 27, 1944 Pilot Officer Bregman

took off in MJ627 to patrol the Arnhem area

and was credited with the downing of a Bf109.

The combat film of his victory still survives

 

• Remaining with 441 Sqn, MJ627 was kept

busy during the latter part of 1944 and the

following sorties were recorded:

• November 6 – Flying Officer F.E.Manette was

tasked to cover 216 Lancaster Bomber aircraft

that were targeting Gelsenkirchen.

 

• November 10 – Flight Lieutenant Smith flew an

‘op’ to Minoru, escorting Dakotas to Paris.

 

• November 27 – Flying Officer B.M. Mackenzie

gave top cover for Lancasters to Cologne.

 

• November 29 – Flying Officer Bregman flew as

a withdrawal escort for 270 Lancasters

 

• December 8 – Flying Officer Bregman escorted

220 Lancasters to the Heinbach Dam with

the Squadron then landing at Brussels as the

weather had closed in at home base.

 

• December 27, 1944 441 Sqn. moved to

Skeabrae, Orkney Islands, Scotland for defence

of the Naval Fleet. March 9, 1945, following

a routine patrol, MJ627 experienced engine

problems that resulted in a forced-landing

• On September 11, 1945, MJ627 was repaired

at Air Service Training, Hamble.

 

• MJ was sold to Vickers Armstrong Ltd on July

19, 1950 for conversion to a T9 Trainer

 

• MJ627 was sold to the Irish Air Corps,

given the markings IAC 158 and delivered to

Baldonnel, near Dublin on June 5, 1951, staying

until withdrawal on April 20, 1960.

 

• In 1989 MJ627 was moved to Coventry, Warks,

for assembly at Dollar Air Services and had its

first engine runs in 1992.

 

• First post-restoration flight: November 8 1993 –

timed to coincide with its original first flight 50

years previously at Castle Bromwich. In view of

MJ627’s operational history it was finished in

number 441 Sqn colours, and coded 9G-Q with

invasion stripes.

Now based at Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar and

YOU can fly in it. Enquire today!